Lough Memorials was founded in 1874 by Uriah Alexander Washington Lough.In 1912 the business re-located to 121 South Market Street. Before retiring U.A. Lough brought his son Charles into the business. Charles eventually retired and sold the business to two of his dedicated employees; Wilson Waltz and Frank Griffin. In 1982 Wilson Waltz sold the business to Merkle Monuments an established family owned memorial business with a tradition of excellence in quality and craftsmanship. Geoffrey Merkle Irwin, grandson of Raymond G. Merkle (founder of Merkle Monuments) is now one of the owners.
Geoffrey M. Irwin, a third generation memorialist is active in the memorial industry as well as the community. He is a board member of the Mid-Atlantic Monument Builders and has served as a District Trustee (representing DE, DC, MD. PA, & NJ) for the Monument Builders of North America. Mr. Irwin is a Frederick resident and volunteers with several community organizations.
The staff at Lough Memorials are very active in the community giving time and resources to many charitable causes.